DraftKings Sportsbook NJ Review
After years as a pioneer and leading company in the DFS industry, DraftKings has now joined primary rival FanDuel in the new legalized sports betting space in New Jersey. The company launched the first legal sports betting app in New Jersey in August, accepting real-money sports bets from NJ bettors statewide starting on Aug. 6.
What you’ll find on the DraftKings Sportsbook app
The official version of the DraftKings Sportsbook app was revealed on Aug. 3. In addition to the most common and popular forms of sports bets, numerous in-game betting opportunities are available as well.
When the curtain is finally lifted on DraftKings’ online sportsbook, expect to see the following betting options, at a minimum:
- Point spread wagering: Bettors will be able to wager whether the favorite in an athletic contest will be able to win a game by the at least the margin of victory the sportsbook is predicting – aka “the spread”. Conversely, they can bet whether the underdog will win the game outright or lose by less points than the sportsbook’s predicted margin – in other words, “beat/cover the spread.”
- Money line wagering: For each athletic contest, each participating team is assigned a three-digit number, either positive or negative, that is reflective of the team’s probability of winning the contest. The more the team is favored, the more a bettor will have to wager to win $100. Conversely, the bigger an underdog a team is considered, the more payout there is per $100 wagered. As an example, a relatively heavy underdog will have a positive three-digit number, such as +250, assigned. That signifies that $250 is paid out per $100 bet on that team. A heavy favorite meanwhile, might have a -225 assigned, for example. Thus, bettors will have to wager $225 to win $100.
- Totals: Bettors will be able to wager on whether two teams in an athletic contest will score more or less combined points than that which the sportsbook is posting as its prediction.
- Futures: As the name implies, futures involve wagers that are typically placed on a team’s final record/ standing at the end of a season. These are usually offered with straight odds or a moneyline, and involve propositions such a team winning a division, conference and/or league championship.
DraftKings offers the widest variety of sports, leagues and games in New Jersey. The DraftKings Sportsbook will include the following menu:
- Rugby Union
How the DraftKings Sportsbook is formed
New Jersey’s newly enacted sports betting law allows brick-and-mortar casinos to have up to three online partnerships. However, they must have a physical sportsbook in place as well. Enter Resorts AC, who’ll see one of its online sports betting licenses utilized by DraftKings within the Garden State.
“We are excited to work with Resorts Hotel Casino to bring our new DraftKings sportsbook to New Jersey,” said Jason Robins, CEO and Co-Founder of DraftKings. “As a tech-savvy and a long-term growth-oriented organization, Resorts Hotel Casino aligns perfectly with our customer-focused, innovation culture.”
In early July, Resorts AC announced a deal with SB Tech to power the sports betting platform at its land-based casino. However, this will not affect DraftKings’ sportsbook, which is already being developed by another respected company in the space, Kambi Group.
DraftKings deal with Kambi Group to develop the platform for its online and mobile sportsbook was reached in late June. Kambi is active in six continents overall and is a prominent name in overseas betting markets. Its client list is a veritable “who’s who” of gaming entities, including Rush Street Interactive and 888 Gaming.
Where did DraftKings start?
DraftKings’ origins in the daily fantasy sports (DFS) industry trace back to 2012, when it was co-founded as a part-time venture by principals Jason Robins, Mathew Kalish and Paul Liberman. The company’s initial product offering was head-to-head contests for MLB.
DraftKings offers DFS contests in the U.S., Canada, the United Kingdom, Malta, Germany, Austria, Ireland and Australia. The company currently boasts a total of 56 individual sponsorship agreements with professional sports teams. It also has official league partnership agreements in place with MLB and the NHL.
Alongside its foray into sports betting, DraftKings will continue to roll out DFS contests for what is arguably the most extensive array of sports in the industry. The company currently offers contests for the following leagues:
- AFL (Arena Football)
- League of Legends (E-Sports)
NJ Exclusive Offers & Picks
NJ Sports Betting News
- New Jersey Sports Betting Handle Up, Revenue Down In October
- Free NFL Week 11 Picks For NJ Online Sports Betting
- Week 10 NFL Betting Recap: New Jersey Books Bounce Back
- Free NFL Week 10 Picks For NJ Online Sports Betting
- Week 9 NFL Betting Recap: Public Makes It Three Winning Weeks In A Row Against NJ Books