While the pandemic has thrown a lot of different events off their normal perches, one major event that’s not in its regular spot on the calendar is the Academy Awards. Instead of the late February/March window, the 2021 Oscars take place this Sunday, April 25th.
We’ll go over some of the betting trends and favorites, along with any significant price differences. Jessica Welman went through some Oscar predictions for PlayNJ to offer some help.
DraftKings has prices available in 23 different categories, while FoxBet has only 15. Fox Bet also has a variety of featured props, as they often do for games. Here’s the currently available list:
- Soul to win Best Animated Feature Film and Best Original Score: -800
- Ma Raineys Black Bottom to win Best Make Up/Hairstyling and Best Costume Design: -182
- Anthony Hopkins, Frances McDormand or Glenn Close to win any Acting Oscar: +150
- C MULLIGAN to win Best Actress and PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN to win Best Original Screenplay: +240
- All to win – NOMADLAND Best Picture, C BOSEMAN Actor ,C MULLIGAN Actress, C ZHAO Director: +280
- Nomadland NOT to win Best Picture: +280
- Chadwick Boseman NOT to win Best Actor: +550
- The Trial of the Chicago 7 to win Best Original Screenplay and Best Film Editing: +650
- NOMADLAND to win Best Picture and Best Adapted Screenplay and F McDORMAND to win Best Actress: +650
- Daniel Kaluuya NOT to win Best Supporting Actor: +1100
- F McDORMAND to win Best Actress and A HOPKINS Best Actor: +4000
The Favorites – Oscars Betting Props
- Favored to win Best Actor: Chadwick Boseman, Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom (-1667, -1100)
- Favored to win Best Actress: Carey Mulligan, Promising Young Woman (+125, +170)
- Favored to win Best Director: Chloe Zhao, Nomadland (-3335, -5000)
- Favored to win Best Picture: Nomadland (-670, -450)
- Favored to win Best Supporting Actor: Daniel Kaluuya, Judas and the Black Messiah (-2500, -5000)
- Favored to win Best Supporting Actress: Youn Yuh-jung, Minari (-500, -550)
The only differentiation in these major categories is in Best Actress. Viola Davis’ performance in Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom has her top choice on FoxBet at +150. On DraftKings Sportsbook she is +200.
For those not looking to put money on the categories, DraftKings also has a free-to-play pool, with $25,000 on the line. That’s available for all DFS and sportsbook customers, not just those in the few states that offer Oscars betting.